Pin It

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cracked Glass Card

It was my mom's birthday this week, so this was the card I made for her. It looked different in my head (as do most cards I create), but it turned out okay. It had been awhile since I made a cracked glass card, so I got out my UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel) and started layering it. It had been so long that I forgot at first that my clear embossing powder got contaminated with black embossing powder during an experiment gone wrong. This is the reason for the little specks on the card, but it worked in this case.

If you are unfamiliar with the Cracked Glass technique, it's really quite simple. Cover your image with versamark and pour a layer of clear embossing powder over top (the deep impression kind works best). Heat and repeat the process. I usually don't wait for the powder to harden again before applying the second and third (sometimes fourth) coats, eliminating the need for a second application of versamark. Once you have enough layers and are satisfied with the image, place it in the freezer for a few minutes. As soon as you take it out, bend and crack the powder for an aged effect. I also rub chocolate chip ink into the cracks to make them stand out even more.

Stamp Sets: Baroque Motifs & Always, warm words
Paper & Ink: Not Quite Navy, Close to Cocoa, & Bashful Blue
Accessories: Hodgepodge Hardware (retired), Pretties flower & pearl

4 comments:

Sherri said...

It turned out beautifully!

Valerie said...

Beautiful! I haven't played UTEE in aeons, must find some time...

At Home! said...

Such a beautiful card! I imagine that your mother loved it! You have a talent for it. Thank you for sharing.

Lani said...

Your work is so beautiful! Love your cards! and how you worked with that crochet flower, LOVE IT ALL! :)