Pin It

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Paper Strawberries, Anyone?

I created these paper strawberries for a challenge at A Charming Place. The challenge was to use the colour wheel to create a project and top it off with a charm. Naturally, I went with a Complementary colour scheme for these strawberries. The box was made using the Matchbox Die and embossed with the Square Lattice folder and the strawberries were made using the Island Floral Die. Best of all, each strawberry holds a Hershey Kiss, making them good enough to eat!

Paper: Real Red, Old Olive
Accessories: Island Floral & Matchbox dies, Square Lattice & Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folders, Hemp Twine, Old Olive Grosgrain













If you don't have the Island Floral die, you can also use the Fancy Flower Extra Large Punch to make miniature versions. Fill them with small candies and fit four in the matchbox basket. Here's how:

UPDATE: I created a PDF with these instructions (forgive the quality - it's my first attempt at this!). Feel free to download it here. I'd love a comment if you found it useful!


Punch out your flower. I used white embossing powder and a retired dotted wheel to create the white dots.








Cut one petal to the middle of the flower.










Overlap the petals on either side of the cut and glue in place










Punch a hole toward the top of each petal. For the leaves I cut down the a punched Five Petal Flower. Punch a hole in the middle of this piece.








Thread a 6" piece of Old Olive Ribbon through two of your petals.










Thread your ribbon through the remaining holes as shown.










Thread both ends of the ribbon through the hole in the middle of your "leaves" and tie a knot to create your stem. I curved the petals in before this step.









You can fit four of these itty bitty strawberries in the base of the Matchbox. Use the same steps with the flower from the Island Floral die for larger strawberries. There are also templates available on the internet if you don't have the punch/die, including several on Splitcoaststampers (but dies and punches make them so much quicker!).






On a completely different note, this is my last stamping related post before I leave for Cambodia on the 23rd. I will be posting my challenge for A Charming Place on August 1st, but other than that I've promised several people to attempt to post updates on my trip while I'm gone, so my blog is going to take a bit of a turn in the next couple of weeks. I promise to be back to Stampin' Up Only posts once I return! While I am gone I will spend approximately one week travelling with a team of people and experiencing Cambodia and one week teaching ESL classes at Place of Rescue just outside Phnom Penh. I am super excited and can't wait to share my journey with you.

2 comments:

Denise Foor said...

thank you so much for sharing this tut. I love these strawberries. Great idea.

Denise Foor

Amanda Kowalker said...

thank you for sharing this! These are just adorable! ;)