Pin It

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ginormous Flowers - Decor Elements in a Tinkerbell Room


This post has been sitting in drafts for almost a year and I started it almost a year after I first put the flowers up over the bed. Time definitely flies! I remember when I bought my Ginormous Flowers being excited, yet intimidated by them. On one hand I couldn't wait to add them to my kids' rooms, but on the other hand I couldn't find any examples online that I liked and felt like I was on my own with them. I don't like things to look scattered, even when designing my scrapbook pages, so the sample on the Decor Elements brochure wasn't one I wanted to follow. In the end I decided to just go for it. After all, they're removable, right?

My youngest daughter has been in love with Tinkerbell since before she could talk. When she turned five we promised to redecorate her room in a Tinkerbell theme. We started with the bedding, but quickly realized that this limited us when choosing colors for the rest of the room - big mistake! When I saw the Ginormous Flowers Decor Elements in Stampin' UP!'s Phase II brochure, I knew that the pink in the first set and the teal and olive in the second set would match my oldest daughter's room perfectly, but it seemed a waste to order both sets just to use half from each. I had a lightbulb moment when I realized that the "leftovers" from each set would work well with the Tinkerbell theme we had started in my youngest daughter's room. I ordered both sets and used the so saffron, Old Olive, and Tempting Turquoise flowers in this bedroom.


I used most of the smaller flowers above the bed, but I saved the largest flower to create a fun backdrop for a mini bulletin board. The centre is made of a cork pad from the kitchen section at IKEA. I glued it right on top of the flower. She loves tacking up her favourite pictures and keepsakes.

Although the Ginormous Flowers package comes with only one of these large flowers, for some reason (likely mispackaging) my pack came with two. When I found out that I could keep the second flower, I knew exactly what to do with it. My daughter's bedroom has a very small angled wall at one corner. I decided to mount her clock on top of the extra flower.

A couple of years ago I made her a frame using leftover Designer Series paper for a challenge while I was on the design team at A Charming Place. As part of the challenge I was to recyle an item that would end up in the garbage. I cut a picture of Tinkerbell from some packaging to add to this wooden frame.


I dug through my scraps and found enough leftover paper to create a second frame her wall.

Finally, I had one flower leftover (and a lot of extra dots and leaves!). I did a little more recycling and cleaned the wax out of a burned out jar candle (also from IKEA). I dumped her crayon odds and ends into the jar and added the extra flower to the outside so it would look pretty sitting on top of her armoir.

Overall, I am happy with how the room came together. Even after a year, it's still a work in progress - after all, I need to find a place to use all those dots and leaves! Eventually I'll add a couple more frames and some other finishing touches, but for now she's thrilled!

Want to see some brand new Decor Elements? Check out the brand new additions to the Decor Elements line (including chalkboard elements) available for order January 5th! In addition to the new Decor Elements, Stampin' UP! has released the brand new Occasions Mini Catalogue and Sale-a-bration brochure a few days early. Customers may begin ordering from these new catalogues and earning free Sale-a-bration rewards beginning January 5th.

No comments: