Pin It

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Embossed Chipboard Frames


Six months after the fact, I finally started scrapbooking our Disney Cruise! I was playing with some squares of Bali Breeze Paper and felt inspired to add some pictures from our stop at the Butterfly Farm on Grand Cayman Island. The title was created by printing my text in Microsoft word and using a Hobby Blade to cut it out. I also embossed a chipboard frame and added rubons to buttons.

Papers: Bali Breeze Patterned Paper, Whisper White Textured Cardstock, Taken with Teal
Inks: Taken with Teal, Pumpkin Pie, & Whisper White Craft Pads and Versamark
Stamps: Priceless

I love using chipboard. My favorite technique is to ink it with craft ink. Classic ink can work in a pinch, but it tends to soak into the chipboard, requiring more ink and leaving the color less vibrant. For an extra special touch, try embossing your colored chipboard with white ink. Here's how:

Cover your entire piece of chipboard with craft ink. I like to use ink spots for this. When using craft ink, make sure to heat set the color before going on to the next step.









Stamp over your colored chipboard with a stamp inked with versamark. Sprinkle embossing powder over top and set with your heat tool. You can also stamp in another color of craft ink and emboss with clear embossing powder.




























Also try making your own embellishments by stampin with craft ink and then embossing your image with clear embossing powder before you cut it out. You can also emboss buttons or use rubons on them, as I did here, to create your own unique embellishments.






2 comments:

Tanja said...

I love the bright colours!
So, tell me, do you have to use craft ink to cover the chip board? Can you use the regular SU ink?

Shawna MacKenzie said...

Thanks, Tanja. I have, in a pinch, covered chipboard in Classic ink, but light colors turn out muddy looking because the dye soaks into the chipboard. I have, however, often sponged Chocolate Chip or Cocoa ink over the edges of a chipboard piece to add a vintage look, and it works well. You can also cover it in white Craft ink and then sponge your Classic ink over top once the white is dry. I hope this helps! ~Shawna