Pin It

Monday, July 28, 2008

Bella Rose Altered Bulletin Board & Ribbon Holder

This Summer I decided to tackle the mess that is my scrap space. Over the years as a demonstrator, my stuff has spilled out of the office and now takes up more than half the basement. I finally decided that having rolls and rolls of ribbon scattered in every corner of my space was no longer working for me and I set about creating one space dedicated to ribbon. Did I mention that I have a weakness for ribbon? My system isn't complete yet. I need to clean out the drawer unit that my altered ribbon holder rests on, but when I am done, it will contain spools of less frequently used ribbon (which are now stacked in the dvd cases and arranged in the two black boxes you see on the stand. My current Stampin' UP ribbon will remain in the IKEA baskets under my punches, since I use them most often. My other favorites (at least the ones that will fit) will go on the altered Paper Towel Holder I found on sale at Michaels last year. This system will need changing again soon, since I know of at least two new punches that will be coming out in the new Fall Idea Book & Catalogue, and I need to squeeze in another IKEA rail to hold them!

Now on to the fun part! My brand new catalogue preorder items arrived a week ago and I was so busy cleaning, I had no time to play until now. For these projects, I used the brand new Bella Rose Designer Series Paper, two of the new in-colors, and a couple of the new stamps. I altered a paper towel holder that I found in a 90% off bin at Michaels last year. I think I paid about $3 for it. I laughed when I put it in the cart, knowing that I am probably the least likely person I know to have a "farm fresh eggs" sign with a hen on it in my house. I laughed again when I looked at it yesterday and started thinking that there will probably be people out there who will think it looked better before I altered it! Anyway, at least I'm much happier with it now. Here's the before & after:










































The next thing I altered was a Bulletin Board I also found in a sale bin about a year ago. It wasn't ugly before I altered it, but it still wasn't me. I don't remember how much this one was, but I'm sure it wasn't more than the Paper Towel Holder. The top holds a 6x6 scrapbook page, which I attached with only a little adhesive so that I can pull it out and change it later if I want. This will hold sketches, photos, and other inspiration. I can see it from my computer desk when I work and it makes me smile.

Stamps: Dreams Du Jour, Heard from the Heart
Patterned Paper: Bella Rose Designer Series Paper
Cardstock & Ink: Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Chocolate Chip
Other: Pretties Kit, Scallop Border Punch

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I wish I knew where those 90% off bins are at Michaels - I never seem to find deals like that?! ... I love how you altered both of these - and I love that DP! Also I'm going to have to figure out what you got at Ikea to store your supplies in, my punches are quickly outgrowing my system! :)

Shawna MacKenzie said...

Sherri, you have to check out the kitchen rail type systems at IKEA next time you're there. It is by far the best system I've seen to store punches. Some people use curtain rods for their punches, which also work great, but I love the hanging baskets for my ribbon! As for the 90% off bins, they're usually not actually in bins, but rather on tucked away shelves. They start at 50% off and then 70% (which is when I'll buy something if I really want it) and then the last bit of junk is 90% off and it goes quickly then.